Pita Bread is so easy to make, the perfect pair for Hummus! The warm and rich flavor of the Arab cuisine that reached Portugal and Brazil.
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 tea-spoon salt
- 2/3 cup lukewarm water
- 1 table-spoon olive oil
- 1/2 tea-spoon dry yeast
- Mix flour and salt in a bowl.
- Dissolve yeast in water and add olive oil.
- Make a hole in center of flour and add yeast mixture, then slowly knead mixture to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough on to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Place it back in the bowl, brush top with a little extra olive oil, cover with a plastic wrap and set aside, in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour.
- Punch dough, place it on a lightly floured surface and divide it in 6 balls.
- Roll each ball in to a circle or oval shape about 1/3 inch thick. Brush each one with a little more olive oil, cover them back and let them rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pre heat oven to 400F. Place 3 pita circles on a pizza pan or cookie sheet. You will need to pans or bake in batches.
- Bake for 6 minutes or until they puff up and are golden brown.