This dessert is what I like to call a Brazilian Gem! It is absolutely delicious! Tart, creamy and cold!
This particular recipe was a bit of a challenge to reproduce because passion fruit and the extract are very difficult to find in most grocery stores in the USA. You will need to go to an Asian market or preferably a Latin American market to find the extract or maybe the fruit if lucky.
I have seen the fruit occasionally in stores but not often enough to be available for when I need it. However, Passion Fruit juice is available everywhere but it is very sweet and has a low percentage of the real juice. It is very weak to bring enough of the tart passion flavor to the recipe but I think I found a solution in lemon juice. Lemmon juice brings the flavor in the passion fruit juice to that similar tart flavor taste from home.
This recipe is very easy to make but requires some extra time to achieve consistency. Make a day before planing on serving.
Ingredients for Mousse:
- 4 passion fruits, If available or
- 1 cup passion fruit extract or
- 1 cup passion fruit juice plus 2 tbsp lemon juice.
- 1 can condensed milk.
- 1 pint whipping cream.
- 1 box Honey Graham crackers.
- 2 cups passion fruit juice.
- 2 tbsp lemon.
- 2 tbsp sugar.
- passion fruit seeds or chocolate sprinkles.
- Remove the pulp of the passion fruit with a spoon. Place pulp in a strainer over a large glass bowl and smash pulp with the back of the spoon pressing the juice into the bowl , save the seeds. Add condensed milk and whisk. Or….
- …In a large glass bowl whisk condensed milk and passion extract or passion fruit with lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a food processor, whip cream until fluffy. Slowly fold whipped cream into passion fruit mixture. It will look lumpy. Cover with a plastic wrap and place in freezer for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, mix 1 cup of the passion fruit juice, lemon juice and sugar in a sauce pan and whisk over medium heat, bring to a boil . Set aside and let it cool. Then, pour this syrup into a container cover and place in refrigerator until needed.
- When hour is up, remove mousse from freezer and fold with a fork ,scraping the sides. Place in freezer again for 1 hour. Keep repeating this procedure until mousse is a consistency of a soft ice cream, not frozen.
- To assemble, put 1 cup of passion fruit juice in a bowl. Deep Graham Cracker cookies in ths juice one by one arranging them on the bottom of a rectangular glass dish approximately 9 x 11 inches. Spread some of the mousse on top and place another layer of crackers deeped in juice. Keep repeating this procedure until mousse is finish. The last layer should be of mousse. Cover with plastic wrap and place in freezer for at least 2 hours.
- Once top is frozen, pour the passion fruit syrup that was chilling in the refrigerator over the top, sprinkle the passion fruit seeds or chocolate sprinkles over it. Cover and place it back in freezer for at least another 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove from freezer 10 min before serving. Keep in Freezer.