“Bolinhos de Chuva”
“Bolinhos de Chuva” translates to English as ” mini rain cakes” or perhaps “rain scones”. Bolinhos meaning “little cakes” and “chuva” meaning “rain”. The popular say for the origin of the name is that when you drop the batter in to the hot oil it forms what looks like a rain drop. Brazilians love “Bolinhos de Chuva”, it is easy to make and very much resembles a doughnut hole. It is usually served with coffee or tea but it can also be a dessert, definitely a treat. It is delicious!
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 table-spoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups of flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- zest of 1 lime or orange
- 1 tea-spoon baking powder
- extra oil for frying ( I like to use coconut oil)
- powdered sugar and cinnamon
- In a large bowl beat eggs and sugar until smooth. Add milk, vegetable oil, vanilla and lime zest and whisk until well mixed. Add flour, salt and baking powder, whisk until a batter is made.
- heat oil in a medium low temperature. If oil is too hot it will burn the doughnuts before the inside in fully cooked. Drop batter using a tea-spoon full.
- Place doughnuts on a paper towel. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar!
Make this wonderful cake to serve for breakfast on Thanksgiving day and over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. A great companion for a cup of coffee or tea.
This wonderful moist cake combines the flavors of a traditional American pumpkin cake with exotic Brazilian caramel coconut sauce. Pumpkin and coconut are a very popular combination in Brazilian desserts and caramel coconut sauce is a Brazilian signature, so sweet and loved, its popularly known as “Baba de Moca”meaning literally ” young woman drool”. This recipe can also be vegan if you substitute the eggs for apple sauce and everyone is happy.
Ingredients for cake:
- 3 1/2 cups cake flour or 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of dark brown sugar
- 3 eggs ( or 1 cup apple sauce if vegan)
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup natural apple sauce
- 2 cups mashed pie pumpkin or 2 cans of pumpkin filing
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp all spice
- peel from one orange
- 1/2 tsp salt
Ingredients for sauce:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 can coconut milk
- Pre-heat oven to 350F and grease a Bundt cake pan.
- In a large bowl beat sugars, oil and eggs until smooth.
- Add all dry ingredients, then apple sauce and mashed pumpkin,mix well ,if dough seems a bit dry add an extra 1/4 cup coconut or vegetable oil.
- Pour in Bundt cake pan and bake for 1 hour or until fork comes out clean. Let it stand for 15 min before removing from pan.
- While cake is baking, melt 1 cup sugar in a sauce until it starts to form a caramel sauce turn heat to low and slowly add coconut milk, stirring constantly until very bubbly and slightly thickened. remove from heat and pour in a glass bowl and let it cool. Sauce will thicken more as it cools. Drizzle sauce over cake and save some in bowl to drizzle over individual pieces. Enjoy!
Brazilian Chocolate Fudge Cake ” Bolo Brigadeiro”
Simply delicious and super easy to make! make it as is or jazz it up with some coffee liqueur.
- 8 ounces unsweetened dark chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 12 tbsp butter softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- pinch salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- powdered sugar
- chocolate sprinkles
- 1/2 cup coffee liqueur and 1/2 cup milk ( totally optional if you want to bring it up notch)
- Pre- heat oven to 350F. Grease 2 round cake pans and line them with parchment paper.
- Chop 4 ounces of dark chocolate in pieces and place in a sauce pan and add 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Stir until melted and creamy over a water bath. Turn off heat but leave sauce pan in water to keep chocolate mixture soft.
- Beat butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until creamy ( I like to use a food processor) . Add the eggs and beat well. stir in chocolate mixture, add flour, cocoa powder, salt, milk and baking powder.
- Place cake batter in cake pans dividing evenly and bake for 30 to 35 min or until fork comes out clean from the center.
- While cake is baking, chop the other 4 ounces of dark chocolate in sauce pan, add the other 1/2 cup of heavy cream and condensed milk. Stir constantly over medium heat in a water bath until mixture is bubbly and creamy. Remove from heat but leave pan in water to keep chocolate soft.
- When cake is done, let it cool for 30 min. During this time, put chocolate fudge in a bowl and place in the refrigerator.
- Remove one cake from pan into a serving platter**, remove fudge from refrigerator and spread a layer of fudge over it . Place the other cake on top and spread the rest of the fudge over entire cake. Dust with powdered sugar and sprinkle chocolate sprinkles.
** at this point, prick the cake all over the top with a fork and drizzle milk and coffee liqueur mixture all over and let cake absorb the liquid then spread the fudge and place the other cake on top and return to instructions.
The original recipe for this cake was given to me by a dear Brazilian friend, Marta Caputo. This cake is super moist and light . It will please everyone. It is perfect with a cup of coffee or tea.. enjoy!
- 1 and 1/2 cup of Brown sugar.
- 3/4 cup of sunflower oil or coconut oil.
- 1 cup of orange juice divided in two parts.
- Zest of one orange.
- 1 cup of cake flour .
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour.
- 1 tbsp of baking powder.
- 3/4 cup of applesauce. ( the applesauce substitutes the eggs ).
- 1/4 cup raw sugar.
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar.
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- In a blender , food processor or cake beaters, mix apple sauce, sugar, oil, half a cup of orange juice and orange zest.
- Transfer to a bowl and flour and baking powder.
- Place dough in a floured Bundt cake mold.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until fork comes clean from the center. Let it cool for 10 minutes and transfer cake to a serving platter.
- Mix the other half or orange juice with the raw sugar. Prick the cake all over with a fork and drizzle the orange sugar all over perforated parts. Dust with powdered and sugar!