Make this wonderful cake to serve for breakfast on Thanksgiving day and over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. A great companion for a cup of coffee or tea.
This wonderful moist cake combines the flavors of a traditional American pumpkin cake with exotic Brazilian caramel coconut sauce. Pumpkin and coconut are a very popular combination in Brazilian desserts and caramel coconut sauce is a Brazilian signature, so sweet and loved, its popularly known as “Baba de Moca”meaning literally ” young woman drool”. This recipe can also be vegan if you substitute the eggs for apple sauce and everyone is happy.
Ingredients for cake:
- 3 1/2 cups cake flour or 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of dark brown sugar
- 3 eggs ( or 1 cup apple sauce if vegan)
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup natural apple sauce
- 2 cups mashed pie pumpkin or 2 cans of pumpkin filing
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp all spice
- peel from one orange
- 1/2 tsp salt
Ingredients for sauce:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 can coconut milk
- Pre-heat oven to 350F and grease a Bundt cake pan.
- In a large bowl beat sugars, oil and eggs until smooth.
- Add all dry ingredients, then apple sauce and mashed pumpkin,mix well ,if dough seems a bit dry add an extra 1/4 cup coconut or vegetable oil.
- Pour in Bundt cake pan and bake for 1 hour or until fork comes out clean. Let it stand for 15 min before removing from pan.
- While cake is baking, melt 1 cup sugar in a sauce until it starts to form a caramel sauce turn heat to low and slowly add coconut milk, stirring constantly until very bubbly and slightly thickened. remove from heat and pour in a glass bowl and let it cool. Sauce will thicken more as it cools. Drizzle sauce over cake and save some in bowl to drizzle over individual pieces. Enjoy!