It’s just like French fries but way better! Yucca fries are very popular in Brazil made with yucca root also known as Manioc in Portuguese “mandioca.” They can be eaten as a side dish accompanying black beans, your favorite grilled meat or veggie or by itself as an appetizer, a perfect bar food.
- approximately 3 lb of yucca root (available in most grocery stores)
- 2 cups of vegetable oil
- salt (pink sea salt is my favorite)
- Cut the skin off the yucca root, chop them in 2 inches size cubes, Put them in a pot with water and le them cook til tender, approximately 20 minutes. Drain water and set aside.
- Pour oil in a large frying pan and heat oil at high temperature for about 3 minutes. You can test if oil is ready by putting one yucca in hot oil. It is ready hen it sizzles.
- Using a frying ladle, put a good amount of yuccas in hot oil.
- Let them fry until golden brown turning them around to brown all sides.
- Scoop them and let them rest in a bowl with white paper towel to absorb the oil. You may need to do the frying in two batches. sprinkle with salt and it is ready. Enjoy!