Rocambole is a Brazilian version of the Swiss roll. Brazilians like to make this rolled up sponge cake filled with milk caramel or guava marmalade. Soft milk caramel and guava marmalade can be easily found at the Latin foods isle of most grocery stores. You can also make your own milk caramel by cooking a can of condensed milk*
It is a delicious treat!
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- tea spoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tea spoon salt
- 1 can dulce de leche ( nestle) or 1 can condensed milk
- powdered sugar and cinnamon.
*To cook a can of condensed milk, place the can inside an instant pot, cover the can with water, and press the canning function. Remove the can once all pressure is out. Open it and pour caramel into a bowl and stir with a fork to smooth it.
* If you don’t have an instant pot, place the can of condensed milk in a pot, cover it with water and cook it in a water bath over medium heat for 1 hour and a half. Keep hot water handy to fill in water bath and pot as water levels reduce with heat. Do not let waters dry completely or can will explode. The can of condensed milk has to be covered with water and the water bath has to have about 2 inches of water at all times. This process is easy but requires constantly watching the water levels. Once cooked, remove the pot from the water, open the can and pour the caramel in a bowl. Stir with a fork to smooth it.
- Heat oven to 375 F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, leaving a border and grease it with butter or oil.
- Sprinkle a cloth towel with about 1/2 cup powdered sugar and set aside.
- Using a food processor or electrical mixer, beat the eggs until thick and creamy. Gradually, add sugar, then milk, and vanilla. Next, add flour, baking powder and salt, and beat until smooth. Pour batter into cookie sheet and make sure it is spread all over.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until fork comes out clean. When cake is ready, turn it over immediately into the towel with sugar, remove the paper and carefully roll it. Set aside on a rack to cool for about 30 minutes.
- Unroll the cake and remove the towel. Spread milk caramel all over the top and gently roll it back up. Place it on a serving platter and sprinkle powdered sugar and cinnamon.