“Beringela assada ao molho Bolognese”
Eggplant with Bolognese sauce is not typical Brazilian food but became part of everyday Brazilian diet. Italian Immigration to Brazil started in the 16th century but it was in the 19th Century that large numbers of immigrants, facing the industrial revolution in Europe, went to Brazil. Brazilian government and land owners offered land to farm as they were facing the suppression of the slavery system.
According to Brazilian government today, there are 31 million Brazilians of Italian descent. Brazilians of Italian descent have duo nationalities. Italian identity and culture shaped much of the Brazilian culture after the Portuguese colonization.
This recipe celebrates the fusion of three nations. A popular Brazilian dish influenced by Italian cuisine and once again adapted to ingredients easy to find in the USA.
- 2 large eggplants
- 3 large red peppers
- 2 celery sticks
- 2 lbs. ground turkey
- fresh mozzarella
- shredded asiago cheese
- 3 shallots
- 1/2 onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3/4 cup rose wine
- fennel seeds
- dried basil
- fresh basil
- 1 can 20 oz. San Marzano crushed tomatoes
- Olive oil
- salt and pepper
- agave nectar
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Cut eggplant lengthwise in thin slices and let it soak in water for 15 min, it helps cut the bitterness of the eggplant. Cut red pepper in large strips and set aside.
- Chop celery, half onion, 3 garlic cloves and fresh basil.
- In a sauce pan, add olive oil, the can of tomatoes, celery, onion, garlic and stir until tomatoes start bubbling. Add salt and pepper and smooth it with an immersion blender. Add fennel seeds, dry basil, fresh basil ( leave some for garnish), a drizzle of agave nectar and let the flavors incorporate at low heat. Cover and leave at low heat while preparing the meat.
- Chop shallots and the rest of garlic.
- In a sauce pan, add olive oil, ground turkey, shallots and garlic. Cover and let cook; stirring occasionally until meat is browned and water and liquids dried. Add wine, salt, pepper. more fennel seeds. Cover and let cook over medium heat until meat is completely cooked. Add meat to tomato sauce. Remove from heat.
- Drain the eggplant water.
- Drizzle olive oil all over a rectangular baking dish, approximately 13×9.
- Arrange the dish by making a layer of eggplant. Put enough Bolognese sauce over, then a layer of red peppers (it should take all the red peppers). Then put some more Bolognese sauce over the peppers and another layer of eggplant (should use the rest of the eggplant). Cover with the rest of the Bolognese sauce.
- Add slices of fresh mozzarella until completely covered. Drizzle olive oil, sprinkle salt, pepper and dried basil. Top with shredded asiago cheese.
- Bake for 30 min. Garnish with fresh basil.