This is a very popular dish in Brazil, it can be served as a main dish, side dish, party food.
This dish is also known as “Empadao de Camarao” and it is found in every bistro, served in big slices or in mini sizes,as finger food or appetizers .
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ( 2 sticks) cold butter cut into cubes
- 8 tablespoons ice water
- shredded fresh parmesan cheese
- 1 egg yolk beaten
- 2 table spoons of olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound of cooked shrimp
- 1/2 lime or Lemmon
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1/4 of an onion finely chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced hearts of palms ( optional but highly recommended)
- 1/2 cup sliced pitted kalamata olives ( optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 table-spoon flour
- Add 1 and 1/2 cups of flour and salt to a food processor or to a medium bowl. Pulse or stir until combined. Add butter and process or use a fork to mix. Add remaining flour and mix until dough is crumbly. Add cold water and process or use hands to shape dough into a ball. If dough falls apart add another table-spoon or two of cold water and work the dough until forms a ball.
- Remove dough from food processor or bowl, place it on a clean surface and divide dough in two halves. Wrap each half with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan over medium heat, saute onions, garlic, tomatoes and red pepper in olive oil, cook until soft. Add shrimp, squeeze lime juice, add salt and pepper to taste and red pepper flakes. Then add hearts of palms, olives, fresh parsley and flour. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Pre heat oven to 350 F.
- Remove one half of dough from refrigerator and place it on a lightly floured surface. Open dough with a rolling-pin and place it on a round pie dish. Prick dough with a fork and place it in oven for 15 min.
- Remove from oven, place but leave oven on. Pour shrimp filling inside pie crust, set aside.
- Remove other half of dough from refrigerator and open with a rolling-pin on a lightly floured surface. Place dough on top of filling. Press the sides to close the edges. Brush the top with the beaten egg yolk and sprinkle parmesan cheese. Make a cut like a cross in the middle with a knife. Place it on top of a cookie sheet and in the oven and bake for 35 min or until top is golden brown. Let it stand for 5 minutes before serving.
2 thoughts on “Brazilian Shrimp Torte”
Reblogged this on msamba.
Thanks for the like and reblog