Simply delicious and super easy to make! make it as is or jazz it up with some coffee liqueur.
- 8 ounces unsweetened dark chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 12 tbsp butter softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- pinch salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- powdered sugar
- chocolate sprinkles
- 1/2 cup coffee liqueur and 1/2 cup milk ( totally optional if you want to bring it up notch)
- Pre- heat oven to 350F. Grease 2 round cake pans and line them with parchment paper.
- Chop 4 ounces of dark chocolate in pieces and place in a sauce pan and add 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Stir until melted and creamy over a water bath. Turn off heat but leave sauce pan in water to keep chocolate mixture soft.
- Beat butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until creamy ( I like to use a food processor) . Add the eggs and beat well. stir in chocolate mixture, add flour, cocoa powder, salt, milk and baking powder.
- Place cake batter in cake pans dividing evenly and bake for 30 to 35 min or until fork comes out clean from the center.
- While cake is baking, chop the other 4 ounces of dark chocolate in sauce pan, add the other 1/2 cup of heavy cream and condensed milk. Stir constantly over medium heat in a water bath until mixture is bubbly and creamy. Remove from heat but leave pan in water to keep chocolate soft.
- When cake is done, let it cool for 30 min. During this time, put chocolate fudge in a bowl and place in the refrigerator.
- Remove one cake from pan into a serving platter**, remove fudge from refrigerator and spread a layer of fudge over it . Place the other cake on top and spread the rest of the fudge over entire cake. Dust with powdered sugar and sprinkle chocolate sprinkles.
** at this point, prick the cake all over the top with a fork and drizzle milk and coffee liqueur mixture all over and let cake absorb the liquid then spread the fudge and place the other cake on top and return to instructions.