Yum! so cold, refreshing and creamy!
This recipe is originally made with a very soft cake known in Brazil as “pão de ló” which uses a lot of whole eggs and a mousse primarily made with raw egg whites. I wanted to reduce the amount of eggs so I changed the cake for an American cake known as “angel cake” made with only egg whites and a mousse with no eggs at all.
Ingredients for the mousse:
- 1 can fat-free condensed milk
- juice of 2 lemons
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 2 oz of Limoncello ( Italian lemon liqueur)
- lemon zest
- 2 tbsp sugar
Ingredients for angel cake:*
- 1 cup of cake flour
- 2 cups of sugar
- 12 large egg whites room temperature
- 11/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
*You can also use angel cake from a box
- In a large glass bowl whisk condensed milk and lemon juice set aside.
- Whip cream in a food processor, then slowly fold it into condensed milk mix . Cover bowl and set it in freezer for 1 hour or until cake is cooled.
- Meanwhile, prepare cake.
- Heat oven to 375F.
- Sift cake flour and 1 cup sugar. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites, salt and cream of tartar until foamy. Slowly add 1 cup of sugar and lemon extract.
- Pour dough in a large rectangular glass or ceramic dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let it cool for 30 minutes.
- Once cooled, loosen the sides with a knife and place cake on a board. Cut in slices about 1 inch thick.
- Mix limoncello, half and half and sugar in a shallow bowl.
- Remove mousse from freezer.
- Dunk slices of cake one by one in limoncello mixture and place on the bottom of a large rectangular glass or ceramic dish. Spread half of the mousse on top. Make another layer of cake slices dunk on limoncello and spread the rest of the mousse on top. Sprinkle lemon zest, cover and place dessert in freezer for at least 4 hours. When ready to serve, let it stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!
- Keep in freezer.