This salad is called “Salpicão” in Portuguese, it is hard to translate but basically it means you add a bit of everything good, like a “little bit of this and a little bit of that” and make it big and delicious. It is a very popular dish on Sunday meals and holidays, it is perfect for entertaining because you can make a day ahead, it is best overnight . It is one of my favorites!
2 Chicken breasts boneless and skinless
1 Lime o Lemon
Salt and Pepper
6 oz cup of plain Greek yogurt
6 oz of lite Mayonnaise
2 cups of Peas
1/3 pound of deli Ham chopped into small pieces
3/4 cup golden Raisins
8 slices of ready Bacon
2 cups of shredded Potatoes
2 cups Vegetable Oil
1 head of Romaine, Green Leaf or Butter Lettuce * optional
1) Marinate chicken breast with lime juice, salt and pepper to taste for 20 minutes.
2) Brown chicken breast in a stir-fry pan with some vegetable oil, add the marinate juices cover and let it cook completely over medium heat. Add a little water occasionally to prevent chicken from burning on bottom. Once chicken is cooked remove from heat and let them cool.
3) Shred chicken breasts in pieces placing them in a large glass bowl. Add peas, chopped ham raisins and sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
4) Mix yogurt, mayonnaise and olive oil in a small bowl and fold it in to chicken. cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours. It is best overnight.
5) Before serving, heat vegetable oil in a deep stir-fry pan and fry shredded potatoes, place them on paper towel, sprinkle some salt and set aside.
6) Heat ready bacon in microwave for crispness and finely chop them.
7) Wash lettuce and chop them in big pieces ( optional).
8) Place lettuce on a bottom of a large serving platter, place chicken salad on top, sprinkle bacon bits all over the top and shredded potatoes.
Serves 4 to 6.
2 thoughts on “Brazilian Chicken Salad ” Salpicão””
Lu, também adoro salpicão. Ótima idéia usar o iogurte no lugar do creme de leite, menos calórico e tão bom quanto. Eu prefiro usar sobrecochas ao invés do peito de frango, rende uma carne mais tenra. Substituir as passas por maça verde também dá um sabor diferente e azedinho. Beijo grande querida, parabéns pelo blog. Ta muito legal.
Sim eu gosto muito do iogurte fica mais leve. Nunca usei sobrecoxas, vou usar na próxima, pois na verdade e ate mais barato do que o peito. As macas e uma boa dica também. Eu faço outra variedade de salpicão com cenoura ralada e maca verde ralada, fica delicioso! Muito obrigado querida pelo ” Feedback”.