This recipe is fantastic! It is easy, prepares in 45 min or less, a very simple and yet so flavorful. The aroma of the roasted fresh tomatoes and herbs will make your mouth water, It is a very light dish and perfect for anytime of the year. A mainly vegetarian dish but you can kick up this recipe with some prosciutto, pancetta or bacon for the meat lovers or add dollops of ricotta cheese for a cremier bite or just add them all ❤
Cooking in Brazil, I would roast Roma style tomatoes cut into quarters but I substituted to heirloom grape and cherry tomatoes. They are sweeter and it saves a step!
1 Pkg of pasta of your choice ( Rigatoni, Penne, fusili )
1 lb Red heirloom grape tomatoes
1 lb Golden heirloom grape tomatoes
1 orange sweet pepper cut in similar size of the tomatoes
1 shallot chopped
4 garlic cloves thinly sliced
2 teaspoons fresh oregano chopped
2 teaspoons fresh thyme
Salt and Pepper to taste.
A bunch of fresh basil chopped
6 slices of prosciutto, pancetta or bacon is optional and ricotta cheese is optional*
1) Heat oven to 375 F.
2) Cook pasta according to pkg directions, drain and set aside.
3) Place tomatoes, peppers, garlic and shallots in a sheet-pan. Drizzle about 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle fresh oregano, fresh thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Make sure all tomatoes are well coded with oil and herbs. Roast in oven for 30 min.
3) Meanwhile if using pancetta,prosciutto or bacon, cook them until crispy, drain on paper towel and chop them in small pieces.
4) When tomatoes are ready, place pasta in to a large elegant bowl, add the tomatoes with herbs and all the liquid that formed, add fresh basil,
5) Add bacon or prosciutto or dollops of ricotta cheese if using them Garnish with more fresh basil.
* Prosciutto is Italian bacon it is not smoked but you can use regular smoked bacon or even turkey bacon.