This recipe is fantastic! It is easy, prepares in 45 min or less, a very simple and yet so flavorful. The aroma of the roasted fresh tomatoes and herbs will make your mouth water, It is a very light dish and perfect for anytime of the year. A mainly vegetarian dish but you can kick up this recipe with some prosciutto or bacon for the meat lovers.
Cooking in Brazil, I would roast Roma style tomatoes cut into quarters but I substituted to heirloom tomatoes. They are sweeter and it saves a step!
1 Pkg of pasta of your choice ( Rigatoni, Penne, Moatacioli )
1 lb Red heirloom tomatoes
1 lb Golden heirloom tomatoes
2 tsp Herbs the Provence
1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste.
A bunch of fresh basil chopped
6 slices of prosciutto or bacon is optional *
1) Heat oven to 375 F.
2) Cook pasta according to pkg directions, drain and set aside.
3) Place tomatoes in a sheet-pan. Drizzle about 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle herbs the Provence and salt and pepper to taste. Make sure all tomatoes are well coded with oil and herbs. Roast in oven for 30 min.
3) Meanwhile, cook prosciutto or bacon until crispy, drain on paper towel and crumble them. If using ready- made bacon, just heat in microwave for 30 sec, pat dry and chop into small pieces,
4) When tomatoes are ready, place pasta in to a large elegant bowl, add the tomatoes with herbs and all the liquid that formed, add fresh basil, Asiago cheese and gently toss.
5) Add bacon or prosciutto if using them. Garnish with more fresh basil.
* Prosciutto is Italian bacon it is not smoked but you can use regular smoked bacon or even turkey bacon.