This recipe is a family favorite and very popular among Brazilians specially at family Sunday meals when extended family gathers to share a big lunch. It is easy to prepare, simple and elegant. A wonderful dish for every occasion.
- 3 Chicken breasts
- 1 lemon
- 1 Cup chicken broth
- 1 Package of Farfalle pasta
- 3 Table spoons butter
- 4 Cups of milk
- 2 Table spoons of corn starch
- 1 Pint of crème fraiche* or heavy cream
- 1/2 Tea spoon of nutmeg
- 2 Tea spoons of herbs de Provence
- 3/4 Cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 1 Cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- In a frying pan, brown chicken breasts with olive oil and 1 tbsp. of butter, season with salt and pepper and squeeze lemon juice. Add chicken broth, cover and let it cook over medium heat until fully cooked. If liquid dries, add more broth or water.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Scoop pasta with a skimmer into a large rectangular glass or ceramic dish. Set aside.
- When chicken is cooked, pull it apart into several shredded pieces and add to pasta. Drizzle with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Dissolve corn starch in milk, mix in nutmeg and herbs de Provence. Melt 2 tbsp. butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add milk mixture, salt and pepper and bring to a boil stirring constantly until slightly thickened. Add cream and bring to a boil again stirring constantly until bubbly. Turn off heat and stir in gruyère cheese until melted.
- Pour cream over pasta and chicken. Cover all with Asiago cheese. Sprinkle some herbs de Provence over it and drizzle with olive oil. Cover with aluminum paper and bake for 30 minutes. Let it stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Serve with a Caesar salad or your favorite salad and Bon Apetite!
* Crème fraiche is easily found in the gourmet cheese area of many grocery stores.