This Brazilian salad is popular with vegetarians and non-vegetarians, and is easy to make. It is crunchy and juicy, with a hint of sweetness and earthy flavors that will leave your guests very impressed. Make it to accompany your “churrasco” — a Brazilian way to grill meats.
Some versions of this salad will have shredded apples, shredded fried yuccas or shredded fried potatoes, mayo instead of vinaigrette.
My family loves it with the citrus vinaigrette, especially at summer time because it is so refreshing.
- 4 medium carrots
- 1 yellow beet
- 1 red beet
- 2 heads of romaine hearts lettuce
- Bunch of chives cut in pieces of about 1 inch in length
- 1/3 cup lemon or lime juice
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 table spoons white balsamic or champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tea spoon sea salt
- Zest from the lemon or lime
- 2 table spoons agave nectar
- Fresh grinded black pepper
- 1/2 teas spoon red pepper flakes
- 2 table spoons fresh basil finely chopped
- Wash and shred lettuce and place on a big serving bowl or platter.
- Peel carrots and beets and shred them in a food processor. Shed carrots first, then the yellow beet and lastly the red beet.
- Mix carrots and yellow beets and place half of it on top of lettuce. Then place most shredded beets on top. Mix the rest os carrots and all beets gently and arrange on top. Set aside.
- Mix lemon or lime zests with the sea salt using your fingers to infuse the salt.
- Squeeze juices in a bowl, add vinegar, olive oil, agave nectar, ground pepper, red pepper flakes and the infused sea salt. Wisk well to combine the oil and vinegar.
- Add finely chopped basil and pour gently over the salad. Garnish with chives.
- You can also dress the salad individually.