Orange cake is very popular in Brazil and there are endless recipes in the Brazilian kitchen. This recipe is for a basic orange cake. I like to frost it with a simple chocolate ganache and decorate it with orange slices or sprinkle chunks of chocolate over the frost.
I like to use Cara Cara oranges because they have a beautiful and vibrant color. The chocolate and the orange flavors really complement each other.
Ingredients for the cake:
3/4 cup vegetable oil or olive oil
2 tablespoons soft unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups of sugar
2 tablespoons orange liqueur like Cointreau or Grand Marnier
Zest of 2 oranges
Juice of 2 oranges
2 cups of flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
Ingredients for chocolate frosting:
4 oz semi sweet chocolate pieces
1/3 cup heavy cream
2 oranges or 1 cup chocolate chunks. If you can’t find chocolate chunks, use chocolate chips chopped in a food processor. Keep the bag of chocolate chips in freezer, it makes for an easier time chopping them in food processor.
1. Pre-heat oven to 350F. Oil a round cake pan with a hole in the middle or a Bundt pan and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix flour and baking powder and set aside.
3. In a food processor, beat oil, butter and sugar. Add orange zest and orange liqueur, then beat. Add eggs one at a time and then orange juice.
4. Pour the liquid mixture over flour mixture and whisk until nicely blended. Pour batter in cake pan. Set cake pan in the middle of the oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until fork comes out clean.
5. Let cake rest for 30 minutes before flipping onto a platter.
6. While cake is baking, make the ganache.
7. Melt chocolate pieces in a small pot. Once it’s melted, turn heat to low and add heavy cream. Stir constantly until well mixed. Remove from heat and set aside.
8. To assemble the cake, flip it over onto a serving platter and spread ganache on top and sides. If ganache is a little hard, add 1 tablespoon of cream and warm it over medium heat until easy to handle.
9. Slice oranges into thin slices and arrange them around the cake or sprinkle the top with chocolate chunks.